Christmas Tree Safety
Christmas trees account for hundreds of fires each year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA).
Keep your holiday trees well-watered. Dry and neglected trees can easily catch fire from a short in electrical lights or lit candles, lighters and matches.
Before your tree burns your house down, be fire smart with these USFA tips:
Place the tree away from heat sources and exits.
Use only non-flammable decorations.
Inspect lights for frayed wires or other defects before use.
Don’t leave lights unattended and turn off holiday lights at night. Keep natural tree stands filled with water at all times and don’t let your holiday tree dry out.
If the tree becomes dry, discard it.
Find extra holiday, Christmas tree and fire safety information, videos, and graphics on the U.S. Fire Administration Holiday Safety page.
Holiday and Travel Safety Toolkit
Help your community prepare for the holidays with the Ready.gov Holiday and Travel Safety Social Media Toolkit.
The main tips for holiday and travel safety include:
Stay off the road during and after a winter storm.
Keep candles away from flammable materials or consider using flameless candles instead.
Keep an eye on food when cooking.
Put a winter supply kit in your car.
Shop securely online over the holidays.
For more tips, visit the Holiday and Travel Safety Toolkit.
Avoid the “Invisible Killer”
Breathe easy this winter and avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
CO is called the “Invisible Killer” because it's a colorless, odorless, and poisonous gas. According to the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), more than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces.
Protect your family from CO poisoning with these USFA tips:
Install and maintain CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home to provide early warning of CO.
Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, and vents.
Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
Learn the symptoms of CO poisoning and other CO safety information on the USFA Carbon Monoxide Safety page.