History of Ventnor City
Anita Metzer House 6209 Ventnor Ave.
The oldest standing house in Ventnor City.
In the latter part of the 19th Century, an American couple
visiting England became so impressed with the beauty of
the locality, that in 1889, when the Camden and Atlantic
Land Company decided to name the section of the land south
of Atlantic City, they remembered Ventnor, England.
Mrs. S. Bartram Richards, suggested that the name, Ventnor
would be an ideal fit for this exciting new area. This name
was suggested on January 8,1889 by Mrs. Richards who was
the wife of the secretary-treasurer of the land company.
This name was formally adopted the following day. Although
the City received its name in January of 1889, it was not
officially recognized until it received it’s incorporation
by the State of New Jersey on March 17, 1903.
St. Johns by the Sea R.E. Church - Sacramento & Ventnor Avenues
The first Church constructed in Ventnor City
Chapter 51 of the laws and Sessions of the State of New
Jersey provided the noble beginning to Ventnor City stating,
“ Be it enacted by the Senate and General Assembly
of New Jersey that all part or portion of the County of
Atlantic, formerly a part of Egg Harbor Township, situate
on Absecon Beach, lying between the Westwardly limit of
Atlantic City and the Eastwardly limit of South Atlantic
City, the Atlantic Ocean on the south as far as the jurisdiction
of the State extends, and to the center of Beach Thoroughfare
on the North, be, and is hereby constituted as a City of
this State, and all of the inhabitants of the State residing
within the limits aforesaid be and they are hereby ordained,
constituted and declared to be from time to time forever
hereafter one body politic and corporate, in fact and in
name, by the name, Ventnor City.
This act shall take effect immediately, and was approved
on March 17, 1903.
These meeting were originally held in the Carisbrooke
Inn, which was located behind the present City Hall, on
Ocean Avenue between Cambridge and Sacramento Avenues. The
first meeting was held on April 20th,1903, with a follow
up meeting being conducted on April 27th,1903.
back to top